Monday, August 09, 2010

Monday Menu - Salsa Violet Verde

It's hot.  Really hot.  Even I hate being out in the garden right now (and those of you who know me, know I love being out in the summer heat.  Crazy, I know).
So, as I stared out the kitchen window watching my aloe, lantana, and gravel melt, I had a cool inspiring idea - I'll make salsa!  Well, actually, more salsa.  (I LOVE salsa)
It would be a refreshing treat and a much needed distraction since I can't be outside.  Luckily, I harvested tomatoes a few days ago so the kitchen is well stocked.

I decide to make my very own specialty - violet verde salsa.  Shown above are cilantro, poblano peppers, long green peppers, all from the farmer's market; then the bell peppers, green onions, tomatoes and tomatillos are all right from the backyard.  What makes this recipe so unique are the heirloom violet jasper tomatoes and purple toma verde tomatillos (thank you Rachel!!)
(succulent violet jasper tomatoes and crisp toma verde tomatillos)
I also add some elephant garlic (locally grown), lime (locally grown), and sea salt (OK, not so local, but delicious).  In all, it took about 40 minutes (I love using my knives) and produced about 4 cups of deliciousness.

(click on image to drool)
I could pretty much eat this salsa with a spoon, but some baked tortilla chips add a level of sophistication.   Bone-apa-tee.

1 comment:

Garden Goddess said...

It is so beautiful, too!! Yummm - how come you didn't invite me over for some of that deliciousness??